Heritage Conservation & Management
As Director of Archaeology for ten years, provided an essential overall direction, technical support and supervision for restoration and conservation of more than thirty monuments and excavated remains of the Islamic, Buddhist and Proto-historic periods, located in the Punjab and Frontier Provinces and Northern Areas of Pakistan. The monuments included:
- Buddhist monasteries, stupas and city remains in the Swat and Taxila Valleys;
- Structural remains of the Indus Civilization at Harappa;
- Islamic buildings of 16th and 17th centuries AD namely, Lahore Fort and Shalamar Garden (both on UNESCO's World Heritage List);
- Baradari (garden pavilion) of Wazir Khan;
- Tombs of emperor Jahangir, Ali Mardan Khan, Prince Pervez, Mir Chakar Rind;
- Nandana Fort;
- Hiran Minar and Pavilion;
- Mosques of Mariyam Zamani; Dai Anga and Akbari Sarai; and
- Baoli (stepped well) at Jandiala Sher Khan.
Supervised preparation of fifty major proposals for the conservation and restoration of architectural heritage of Pakistan and presented to the Government of Pakistan. More than FORTY were approved and funded.