Archeological Field Research Projects
Planned, organized and directed archaeological field research projects of extensive surveys involving documentation of hundreds of sites and monuments and excavations in Pakistan and abroad on sites of diverse cultural contents ranging in date from the Prehistoric to Islamic periods. In all, forty major explorations and excavations projects were carried out in Pakistan and foreign countries independently and in collaboration with national and international teams.
International Collaboration and Participation
- 1990: Co-Investigator with Dr. H. Fujiwara from Japan for research on Rice at Harappa in archaeological contexts.
- 1996: Collaboration with Rita P. Wright from the U.S.A. for a Joint Field Survey around the city of Harappa and beyond.
- 1980-82: Joint Excavations at Sar and Buri, Bahrain with local and Australian teams.
- 1966: Collaborative Survey of sites in the Malir River Basin, Lower Sindh with Dr. Walter A. Fairservis from the U.S.A.
- 1960: Collaboration with Dr. George F. Dales from the U.S.A. in the survey along the Makran Coast of Baluchistan.
- 1958: Participant in the excavations at Charsada headed by Sir Mortimer Wheeler from the United Kingdom. (Also listed below under different categories of sites)
On the Indus Civilization and Bronze Age sites
- Excavations at Jhukar, 1973 - 74;
- Malir Megaliths, 1975;
- Harappa, 1967 and 1992;
- Jalilpur, 1971 and 1976;
- Jhang, 1974;
- Sutkagen-dor, 1960;
- Sar al-Jisr (Bahrain), 1980-81 and 1981-82; and
- Buri and A'Ali (Bahrain), 1980-82.
On the Buddhist and Early Historical/ Medieval sites
- Lahore Fort, 1959;
- Aibek's Grave, 1960;
- Tulamba, 1963-64;
- Satgara, 1971;
- Charsada, 1958 (headed by Sir Mortimer Wheeler);
- Nimogram, 1967;
- Pan Dheri, 1967;
- Mainamati (Bangladesh), 1962-63; and
- Paharpur (Bangladesh), 1963.
On the Early Islamic sites
- Mansurah, 1965-66, (headed by Dr. F. A. Khan); 1967 and 1982-83;
- Banbhore, 1958, 1959-60 (headed by Dr.F.A. Khan), 1960-61, 1961-62, 1964 and 1965; and
- Bhiro Bham, 1964.
Conducted extensive surveys/ explorations in Sindh, Balochistan, Punjab, North-Western Frontier Provinces and Northern Areas
of Pakistan which led to the discovery of hundreds of settlements of the Indus Civilization and of other cultural contents. The
principal regions or areas are listed below:
- Cholistan, 1974, 1975, 1976 and 1977;
- Multan and Faisalabad, 1967, 1971, 1973 and 1976;
- Sahiwal, 1966 and 1971;
- Dera Ghazi Khan, 1961;
- Lahore, 1990;
- Jacobabad, 1961;
- Nawab Shah and Thatta, 1963;
- Malir River Basin, 1964 (headed by Walter A. Fairservis);
- Sukkur-Rohri, 1966 and 1983;
- Karachi and Thano Bula Khan, 1966;
- Sindh Kohistan, 1983;
- Nagar and Parkar, 1987;
N.W. Frontier Province & Northern Areas
- Swat and Dir, 1966;
- Gilgit and Hunza region, 1979;
- Northern and Central Balochistan, 1973;
- Makran Coast, 1960 (headed by George F.Dales);
- Las Bela, 1962;
- Kej Valley, Mekran, 1964.
Project Directorof two major schemes for "Survey and Documentation of Sites and Monuments in Sindh and Punjab" respectively during 1994-96 and 1993-96.
Currently in Progress
Co-investigator of Ethnoarchaeological Research in Chitral, northern Pakistan, 2003 – 2008.